In the northwest part of Constantinople, the monastic church of Panagia Pammakaristos is built. From its complex, only the katholikon and the chapel, which is attached on its south side, survive till today.
The erection of the church took place in the 12th century. Its founders were John Komnenos, domesticus and kouropalates, and his wife Anna, according to the inscription that used to be in the bema.
The foundation and the mosaics of the chapel are attributed to Maria Doukaina Komnene Palaiologina Branaina (later nun Martha) for the burial of her husband, protostrator Michael Doukas Glabas Tarchaneiotes, who died after 1304. Maria also assigned to the poet Manuel Philes the composition of epigrams in honor of her husband. Those epigrams decorate the internal and the external cornices of the chapel.
After the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, the monastery served as the office for the Ecumenical Patriarchate in the years 1455-1591. Later, it was transformed into a mosque by Murad III (1574-1595), named Fethiye Camii (Mosque of the Victory), due to the conquest of Georgia and Azerbaijan by the sultan.
The meticulous restoration works of the chapel and the cleaning of its mosaics in the mid-20th century have brought back the old prestige and beauty of this elegant edifice.
From 2006, the chapel is a museum, named Fethiye Müzesi, while the main church continues to be a mosque.